Monday, February 22, 2010

The Emotional Connection (or How to Support the Red Cross)

When the tragedies of the dropped programs hit us in the past couple weeks we all feel like we needed to do something.  We want to support but how?  Many of us wrote letters or emails.  We want Duquesne and Cal State Bakersfield to survive but are we willing to open our wallets?  I don't have an emotional connection to these programs.  I don't know the faces and names of the student-athletes.  I don't know what it looks like in their practice rooms today, or who their team captains are or how their season has been going.  Unfortunately there are only a select few who do- they are the die-hard fans who, no matter what, are going to be there.  They are the inner circle: parents, girlfriends and the small percentage of alumni who really stay in touch.  What if you saw their faces, saw the destruction that the dropped program would cause and felt educated about the team?  Then you would be more likely to open your wallet. 
It is hard to call a dropped program a tragedy in the face of the horror going on right now in Haiti.  When the television, radio and print media brought me to Haiti over and over I was moved to tears.  I was compelled to take action.  I didn't have to look far to do so... I could donate online or simply text 90999 to make a $10 donation.  $4 million worth of donations were made via text message alone because:
  1. I felt emotionally connected to the tragedy because I was able to learn about it
  2. They made it easy for me to support. 
Donate today: www.redcross.org/  or text:  HAITI to 90999 to donate $10
Watch this amazing video about the efforts of the Red Cross- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SDHaQKk3Io

No comments:

Post a Comment